Our Work

Contacting Your Elected Officials

Tips for Contacting Your Elected Officials & Members of the Media

How to Find Contact Information

Easily find federal, state, and local representatives at All you need is your nine-digit zip code.

Tips for Emailing and Writing Elected Officials

You can usually find your officials’ e-mail address or mail address by visiting their website. To find your officials’ website, go to

Here are tips for composing an email/letter to your elected officials:

  • Your purpose for writing should be stated in the first paragraph of the email. If your letter pertains to a specific piece of legislation, identify it accordingly, e.g., House bill: H. R. ____, Senate bill: S.____.
  • Be courteous, to the point, and include key information, using examples to support your position.
  • Address only one issue in each letter; and, if possible, keep the letter to one page.

Addressing Correspondence:

To a Senator:
The Honorable (full name)
__(Rm.#)__(name of) Senate Office Building
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator:

To a Representative:
The Honorable (full name)
__(Rm.#)__(name of) House Office Building
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative:

**Note: When writing to the Chair of a Committee or the Speaker of the House, it is proper to address them as:

  • Dear Mr. Chairman or Madam Chairwoman: or
  • Dear Mr. Speaker:

Tips for Telephoning Your Elected Representatives

To find your senators’ and representatives’ phone numbers, call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202.224.3121 and ask for your senators' and/or representatives’ office. You can also find your officials’ number on Remember to contact the representatives that represent your geographic area.

Telephone calls are usually taken by a staff member, not the member of Congress. Ask to speak with the aide who handles the issue on which you wish to comment. For most issues related to pregnancy centers, you will be asking for the aide who handles health and/or social policy issues.

After identifying yourself as a constituent of your official's district or state, tell the aide you would like to leave a brief message, such as: “Please tell Senator/Representative (Name) that I support/oppose (S.___/H.R.___).”

You may want to state reasons for your support or opposition to the bill and ask for your senator's or representative's position on the bill. You can also request a written response to your telephone call. Just remember to keep calls brief.

Educate OTHERS: Write a BLOG POST OR Letter to the Editor

You can educate your friends and neighbors by sharing the facts about pregnancy centers and life issues in a blog post, on social media, or in a letter to the editor. If you are writing a letter to the editor or guest blog post, be sure to adhere to the hosting sites guidelines on length, topics, and other issues.  Here is some background information and statistics you can use:



Back to Advocate

In this Section
Remember me!
Create an account
Forgot your password?